Dental Crowns and Bridges in Los Gatos
Dental damage can happen to the best of us, leaving in its wake teeth that are pained, broken, unattractive, or missing altogether. At Los Gatos Dental Group, we want to give you back your perfect smile in a comfortable and minimally-invasive way -- and many times, our custom crowns and bridges are the perfect solution. These restorations are designed to be as durable and functional as your natural teeth, and our all-ceramic options offer that natural, aesthetically-pleasing look you strive for. Better yet, state-of-the-art CEREC technology can create them in just one appointment! Keep reading to find out more about these wonderful solutions in restorative dentistry.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Crowns are designed to cover the entire surface of an affected tooth, restoring its natural size and shape and protecting the existing structure from further breakage or infection.
Our team often recommends having a dental crown placed for the following reasons:
- A tooth has a bad cavity that is too large to be treated with a traditional filling.
- A tooth that has been badly broken or fractured in an accident.
- A tooth that has become weakened over time and is in need of additional support.
- A tooth that has cosmetic flaws that need correction, such as an uneven shape.
- A tooth which has been treated with root canal therapy and is in need of additional support.
- For a missing tooth that has been replaced with a dental implant and is in need of restoration.
Dental crowns can be made out of one of several materials, including porcelain, zirconia, gold, or metal alloys. A beautiful porcelain crown can be crafted in just one visit to our office thanks to advanced CEREC technology.
What Are Dental Bridges?
While a dental crown can restore the form and function of a damaged but salvageable tooth, a dental bridge in Los Gatos takes the place of a tooth that has gone missing altogether. This restoration works by placing a crown around each tooth that surrounds a gap in the smile -- and prosthetic teeth (aka “pontics”) fill in the empty space between.
A dental bridge is often made from porcelain fused-to-metal, for sturdy and natural-looking result. The benefits of this type of restoration include:
- A quick solution for missing teeth
- Prevents the surrounding teeth from drifting out of alignment
- Easy to clean for continued oral health
- Can last for many years with proper maintenance
- Highly customizable for a fantastically natural appearance
Caring for a Crown or Bridge
Taking excellent care of your new restoration is the key to enjoying it for years to come. After your crown or bridge has been placed, make sure you continue to practice excellent hygiene steps -- like brushing for two minutes, twice a day, and flossing daily. Concentrate on the area at the base of your crown or bridge to prevent plaque/food particle buildup. If you experience a problem with your restoration, get in touch with our office right away for a prompt solution.
Request an Appointment Today!
Dr. Diercks, and Dr. Karamardian’s top goal is simply to get you back to enjoying a better, brighter smile as soon as possible. Contact our Los Gatos, CA office today to schedule a consultation with us! We also serve the nearby areas of Campbell, Cupertino, San Jose, Saratoga, and beyond.